top of page
Fort van Samuil.jpg


Photo Zoran Spirkovski

Plattegrond Ohrid

Ohrid, a town with a history dating back to 4500 B.C., lies on one of the oldest lakes in the world and claims to be one of the longest inhabited places in the world after Damascus. In the city and around the lake there were exactly 365 churches, monasteries and holy places, one for each day, so Ohrid also claims to be the Slavic Jerusalem. Both the lake and the city are on the UNESCO world heritage list. Ohrid is one of only 28 places that are part of the UNESCO World Heritage and are both cultural and natural monuments.

Ohrid, a town with a history dating back to 4500 B.C., lies on one of the oldest lakes in the world and claims to be one of the longest inhabited places in the world after Damascus. In the city and around the lake there were exactly 365 churches, monasteries and holy places, one for each day This is the reason why is known as the Slavic Jerusalem.

At the end of the IX century, Ohrid became the center of Christianity. Due to the large number of buildings with a unique architecture, Ohrid allows every art and history lover to admire the most important representatives of the cultural streams of the Byzantine art of the Middle Ages and the Art of Antiquity.

Known as the Ohrid Cathedral, this church was built in the first half of the XI century, or more precisely between 1035 and 1056. Built on the foundations of a 5th century Romanesque church.
The walls of Sophia's church are covered with rare frescoes from the 11th and 12th centuries. When the Ottoman Empire moved to the region in the 15th century, the building was converted into a mosque, the frescoes were plasticised and minarets were built in the northern chapel.  Many classical music concerts are given here because of the special acoustics.

Opening hours

10:00 -19:00 (shorter in low season)

Entrance 100 denar

Sveta Sofija.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

The Monastery of St. Panteleimon (Pantelejmon) was built by St. Clement at the request of Boris I of Bulgaria, Prince of the First Bulgarian Empire 852-898. The monastery was a centre for education and is considered one of the oldest universities in the western world. St. Panteleimon stands on the Plaosnik hill overlooking Lake Ohrid. St. Clement is the patron saint of the city and is buried in the monastery.  On Plaosnik hill there are remnants of the old town of Lichnid, and there are beautiful mosaic floors to be seen. 

Opening hours:

High season 08:00 - 20:00

Low season 09:00 - 16:00 

Entrance 100 denar

St. Clement en Panteleimon.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

One of the most popular sights on Lake Ohrid is the Monastery of Sveti Naum. The monastery is located on the southern side of the lake a stone's throw from the border with Albania. The monastery was founded at the beginning of the tenth century in the former Bulgarian Empire. St. Naum is buried in the monastery. According to legend, you can still hear the saint's heart beating when you place an ear on his tombstone. For this, however, a good faith is a must. In the monastery you can find some beautiful murals. Unfortunately, no pictures are allowed in the church.
There are remarkably many peacocks living in the grounds around the monastery.

Sveti Naum.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

At the highest point of the city of Ohrid stands the Fortress of Samuel. It was built here about a thousand years ago. During this period Ohrid was the capital of the First Bulgarian Empire. The fortress was built by Tsar Samuel who, until his death, tried to make his country independent from the Byzantine Empire.  The Byzantine Emperor Basileios ordered all 14,000 captured soldiers to turn a blind eye. One eye should be left out at every hundredth so that the soldiers could find their way home. At the sight of his army, Samuel suffered a heart attack and died a few days later. From the fortress you have a beautiful view over the city of Ohrid and the lake. 



Opening Hours: 09.00 - 19:00

Entrance 150 Denar 


Fort van Samuel .jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

 Ohrid's antique theatre dates from the second century B.C., but was only discovered in the second half of the last century. Nowadays the theatre can be seen again in its former glory and events and concerts are regularly held in the theatre. The most important concerts of the Ohrid Festival are held in the ancient theatre. The Ohrid Amphitheatre, together with some other historical highlights in Ohrid, is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.


Photo Zoran Spirkovski

On the southern side of Lake Ohrid in Macedonia, near the village of Pestani, remains have been found of a village located there in the late Bronze Age and early Iron Age, from 1200 B.C. However, archaeological research (under water) only took place from 1997 to 2005. Then it turned out that there was a village standing on stilts. In total more than 6000 remains of poles have been found. In addition, many objects of bronze and iron were found, as well as ceramics, flint and stone objects. Furthermore, many remains of animal bones have been found, which is also why the area is called 'The Bay of Bones'. Because it was such a unique place, they decided to rebuild the village. This was done in 2007 and 2008.


Entrance 150 denar

Bay of Bones Ohrid .jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

The Church of John the baptist on Kaneo or Sveti Jovan Kaneo is perhaps the most beautiful monument in Ohrid. This church is built on a rock overlooking the lake of Ohrid. The church can only be reached on foot or by boat. It is a Macedonian Orthodox church that was probably built at the beginning of the thirteenth century but the exact start of construction is not known. However, it is known that the church already stood on this spot in the fifteenth century. As in all orthodox churches, the icon at the altar tells the story of the church. On these icons you can see that the church is dedicated to John the Baptist.


no fixed opening hours

entrance 100 denar

Sveti Jovan Kaneo Ohrid .jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

The Robevi House is a famous and historic building in Ohrid, Macedonia. The construction of the first Robevi House was completed on 15 April 1827 following the inscription on the marbled tiles Between 1861-1862 it was burnt down.The house was rebuilt 2 years later. This house has been protected as a building of great cultural and historical importance since the end of the Second World War. This fascinating museum on three floors offers many beautiful examples of old statues and other stone objects collected during archaeological expeditions in the region in the last century. For example, a carved "torso of the goddess Isis" from the 2nd century B.C., an ancient golden mask, etc.
Opening hours
10:00 -14: 00 summer also 18:00-21:00 Entrance 100 denar 

Ohrid architecture .jfif

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

Hundreds of springs supply the Ohrid lake with fresh water. People passing by can drink from these springs. The most famous source is undoubtedly the source of the river Crni Drim or the "Biljanini Izvori" (the springs of Biljana). According to legend, these are the springs where Biljana (beautiful young woman from Ohrid) was washing clothes with her friends. There she fell unhappy in love with the leader of the caravan in transit. The caravan had stopped to fetch water for the long journey. This story was sung in the famous song "Biljana platno beleše". This is one of the most famous songs from the old town and practically the national anthem of Ohrid. The name Biljana is still the most popular in this area.

Biljanini Izvori.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski 1

 The archeological site"Manchevci",

 was discovered in the course of 2007. After the archaeological excavations on this archaeological site, an early Christian basilica was discovered. The site is located near the Cathedral of St. Sophia, in the direction of the ancient theatre.
The basilica, which is one of the nine basilicas in the city and dates from the 4th-5th centuries B.C., has a beautifully preserved floor mosaic with a decorative arrangement typical of the 4th and 5th centuries. Particularly important is the mosaic field with an inscription of a donor named Thomas and John, who probably built the building. During the archaeological excavations very important elements and fragments of the marble architectural and decorative sculpture were unveiled.

Basilica Mancevci.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

St Bogorodica Perivlepta


This church was built in 1295 and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The addendum Perivlepta indicates all-knowing and clairvoyant. When the original St Sophia cathedral was converted into a mosque, this church was named the new cathedral. Many medieval frescoes can be admired in this church. One of the most famous is the depiction of The Last Supper, which is consumed outside in this depiction.


Opening hours:

09:00 - 13:00

in summer also 16:00-19:00

Entrance is 100 denar

St Bogorodica Perivlepta.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

On the church grounds of Bogorodica Perivlepta, you will also find the Icon Gallery. 

In the gallery you can see a number of valuable icons from the 11th to 19th century. 

These icons have been collected from various churches all over Macedonia. 

Opening hours:
09.00 - 14:00
and in summer also 17:00 - 20:00

Entrance is free of charge

Iconen Galerie.jpg

Photo Zoran Spirkovski

bottom of page